We explore the intense competition between the US and the Soviets to launch humans into space, ultimately to the moon, and then return them safely home. Kinda like the contest between Rocky Balboa and Ivan Drago in Rocky IV. No really, it's just like that!!
As we celebrate the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11 moon mission this month, what better way to honor the legacy of the US space program and the men and women who made it possible, than to spend some time exploring what their work means for all of us today.
In Falken's Maze, technologist and former professor Jason Thomas explores the intersection of technology, history, and culture. Created for listeners nostalgic for the 80s but who also want to understand the complexities of today, our show demystifies the world's most compelling technologies and events through 80's movies, music, and television.
This is where history, tech, and retro pop collide.
If you enjoy the show, tell a friend, leave a review, click some stars!!
Find us online at www.falkenspodcast.com.
- Turner Classic Movies Summary of Rocky IV
- Rocky IV - Apollo's Entrance "Living in America"
- Rocky IV Speech
- American Moonshot: John F. Kennedy and the Great Space Race by David Brinkley
- BBC Interview with Yuri Gagarin
- CBS News Special Report on Launch of Sputnik I
- President Eisenhower Missile Age Report Speech
- What You Didn't Know about the Apollo 11 Mission (Smithsonian Magazine) by Charles Fishman
- Luna 15 Accompanied Apollo 11 to the Moon (Discover Magazine) by Amy Shira Teitel
- CBS Special Presentation Intro
- Street Dancing by Timecrawler 82 is Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (4.0) International license
- Paint The Sky by Dysfunction_AL (c) copyright 2015 Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution (3.0) license.
- Right About Time Open Music Revolution
- Innovation Open Music Revolution